IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team of over 1,000 professionals are at work in over 25 countries. Together, we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
International Justice Mission (IJM) is seeking a highly qualified and energetic professional to manage field office financial activity, grants accounting and reporting and finance policy development. The successful candidate will be an experienced accountant and manager in an international not-for-profit environment, with proven capacity to accurately and objectively evaluate the effectiveness and outcomes of strategies and activities.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, D.C. area and reports to the International Finance Director.
Finance/Accounting & Compliance
• Manage the receipt, review and general ledger recording of all field offices’ income, expenses and balance sheet items on a monthly basis in accordance with GAAP;
• Expeditiously resolve all outstanding, irreconcilable, uncategorized or improperly categorized transactions and instruct field office on adjustments to be made when errors are encountered;
• Assist in managing goals set for field offices, reviewing strategies, and mentoring opportunities for field office finance staff;
• Maintain a close working relationship with Global Program staff for the purpose of obtaining data, resolving anomalies and assisting with proper account coding;
• Ensure consistency among HQ and field office financial records;
• Provide management with procedural changes and alternative strategies in a continuous effort to improve field financial reporting;
• Communicate and implement new procedures and strategies;
• Provide and regularly update written finance policy documents for all field office finance practices;
• Assist Field Office Directors in hiring field office finance staff;
• Manage HQ copies of field office monthly financial documents and providing them for audit as needed;
• Work with other International Finance and Finance Compliance staff to ensure consistent accounting across field offices;
• Maintain and document internal control procedures for all field offices and ensure accessibility of documentation of accounting treatment;
• Perform on-site field office financial support and reviews as necessary;
• Provide training as needed to field office finance and general staff on accounting policies, procedures and internal controls;
• Manage the setup of new field offices and train new staff in accordance with IJM’s finance manuals; and
• Collect, organize and analyze information from the field to support IJM’s annual corporate independent financial and Uniform Guidance (Single) audits.
• Along with the IJM Grants Management team, provide expert guidance on management, compliance and accounting for grants to field office finance and Global Program teams;
• Assist with preparation of award budgets, spending plans, budget modifications, no-cost extensions as needed and sub-grantee risk assessment;
• Prepare scheduled and/or ad hoc financial reports for donors that are timely, complete and accurate;
• Assist with contracted partners’ or sub-grantees’ contractual agreements, tools for accounting and reporting expenses, tools and processes for sub-recipient monitoring, amendments and close-outs;
• Analyze burn rates, produce grant BvA (pipeline) and projection reports including cost share requirements;
• Monitor sub-grantees’ financial expenses compared to their obligations and prepare, review or approve modifications;
• Manage grants and projects for proper and accurate expenditure charging, revenue recognition, Deferred Revenue and Receivables reconciliations and timely invoicing of donors; and
• Oversee financial management/reporting/close-out for grant award(s), liaising as appropriate with the Grants Management and Global Program teams at headquarters and field office finance and program managers.
• Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting (CPA or Advanced Finance degree preferred);
• At least five years’ experience as an accountant, analyst, auditor, accounting manager or similar position, of which three years is in the international not-for-profit environment;
• Strong verbal and written communication skills;
• Experience with electronic financial systems and an understanding of general journal entries;
• Working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and foreign currency exchange and translation;
• Knowledge and experience with US government grant-making rules (2 CFR 200);
• Proven experience managing US government and other institutional awards;
• Proven experience successfully working with people of diverse cultural backgrounds;
• Proven capacity to accurately and objectively evaluate the effectiveness and outcomes of strategies and activities and experience in implementing appropriate adjustments;
• Experience in training individuals and small groups; and
• Ability to travel internationally, particularly to low-resource settings.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Humble and resilient;
• Pursues excellence;
• Strong follow-through on issues;
• Culturally aware and appreciative of difference;
• Strong service ethics;
• Innovative problem-solver and strategic thinker;
• Ability to build trust and strong, collaborative partnerships with others;
• Courageous in pursuing opportunities and challenges; and
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.