We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a Director to lead our Global Treasury function based in our Washington, DC area office. The Treasurer will be responsible for cash management, all banking relationships, liquidity risk management, securing required financing, ensuring adequate funding for our field operations, minimizing foreign exchange risk, and investment management. The Treasurer will also advise IJM on policy issues related to new sources of revenue and support initiatives to extend the reach of IJM. The successful candidate will have a Bachelor’s degree, with a minimum of seven years’ experience including treasury experience in a not-for profit environment. The candidate should have experience in a multi-jurisdictional and international environment. A Certified Treasury Professional and/or Master of Business Administration is strongly preferred.
Direct Global Treasury Function
• Maintain oversight over all banking relationships including implementation of a strategy for global and/or regional banking partners to support growth of IJM. This currently consists of 24 international bank accounts (with 14 different banks) and five domestic US bank or investment accounts (with three different banks/firms) but this amount may increase as IJM expands to new field office locations;
• Monitor external investment advisors to both protect and ensure optimal performance of financial resources for IJM
o Invest funds to ensure maturity dates align with forecasted cash needs
o Oversee any long-term investment of endowment funds;
• Manage external relationships with foreign exchange providers (IJM currently uses two);
• Collaborate with the IJM Controller to optimize payment processes to leverage usage of credit cards and vendor payment terms to increase flexibility for IJM (optimal working capital) while providing the best possible support for IJM employees required to travel; and
• Maintain a committed line of credit as a safeguard to be utilized in the event of an unexpected financial crisis when IJM funds might temporarily dip below required reserve levels.
Global Cash Management
• Ensure strategic cash forecasting to proactively identify any need to reduce spending or to rely on external financing;
• Develop strategy to ensure maintenance of minimum cash reserve levels to ensure smooth operations for IJM. Develop policies on when to utilize line of credit versus cash reserves;
• Continually improve current processes and procedures around cash management and forecasting;
• Manage transfer of funds to field office bank accounts to reduce foreign transaction (FX) costs and to ensure timely and adequate funding for field office operations (with minimal cash reserves held in local currencies);
• Provide real time insight and management of global cash positions; and
• Ensure that IJM stays compliant with foreign bank and financial account filings on an annual basis.
Assist Chief Financial Officer with Special Financial Projects to:
• Develop policies and procedures to support new initiatives. Support Global Advancement in evaluating new projects and initiatives and identifying any process changes needed to ensure support;
• Evaluate and strengthen Financial Policies and Procedures;
• Monitor compliance with external rating and watchdog organizations, and complete annual filings with them to ensure public IJM data is accurate and up to date. Review financial reporting and forecasts to proactively identify any risk to ratings. This currently includes the Better Business Bureau, GuideStar, Charity Navigator and Dun & Bradstreet;
• Develop a strategy for implementation of a long-term policy for endowments and a charitable annuities program;
• Provide projected economic (inflation factors) and foreign exchange data to the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis for use in developing annual budgets and long-term plans; and
• Support other projects which may develop as we advance toward 2030 vision.
Manage Treasury Risk
• Calculate and monitor IJM’s Value at Risk for foreign exchange exposures;
• Oversee all processes related to foreign exchange hedging; and
• Monitor market interest rates.
• Manage and develop a highly talented Financial Analyst(s). Provide regular feedback to ensure professional and spiritual growth;
• Proactively engage with Global Advancement team leaders to seek ways to support new growth initiatives for IJM;
• Collaborate extensively with others in Finance including the Controller and the Director of Financial Planning & Analysis; and
• Inspire confidence within the Field Operations teams by ensuring timely funding for ongoing operational needs.
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related field required; CPA, CTP or Master’s degree in Business Administration or Finance strongly preferred;
• Minimum of 7 years’ experience in treasury and/or financial analysis for an international business or not-for profit organization with multiple projects and 3 years management experience;
• Significant experience with financial systems including ERP systems, preferably Workday financials;
• Extensive knowledge of GAAP and IRS regulations regarding Form 990 and 501(c)(3) organizations;
• Demonstrated ability to manage and maintain Excel worksheets;
• Experience maintaining banking and vendor relationships for an organization; and
• Superior administrative capacity to manage many projects and tasks simultaneously and complete them with minimal oversight.
• Mature Orthodox Christian faith;
• Meticulous attention to detail; disciplined with priorities;
• Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals;
• Self-starter, proactive learner who takes initiative to identify, research and resolve issues;
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
• Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
• Patient; works well under stress;
• Personable; sustained positive attitude;
• Diplomatic and flexible; ability to influence and manage change;
• Professional demeanor and collaborative communication style;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Effective organizer, planner, and implementer;
• Strong ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks;
• Culturally aware and appreciative of differences;
• Ability to build trust and strong partnerships with all levels of staff; and
• Ability to apply discretion and maintain confidentiality.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.