We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM is seeking a talented leader to provide financial oversight for overseeing all aspects of the accounting function, including timely and accurate reporting of all consolidated financial reports and statements with supporting schedules in accordance with US GAAP and accounting policies. The Director plans, organizes and monitors the financial affairs of the accounting organization related to the general ledger, supporting systems and tax compliance, is the primary liaison with both internal and external auditors and fosters financial leadership, efficiency, systemization and discipline throughout the organization. The individual will directly manage multiple direct reports and will have overall responsibility for the Finance team of Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Assets, and Payroll. The Director will collaborate with the Manager of Financial Planning and Analysis, the Director of International Finance as well as the other division teams on new strategies.
The Director will not only be an exceptional accountant, understanding organizational finances but be strategically aware, advising, planning and leading in coordinating corporate strategies related to accounting and finance, aligning and managing strategic objectives with company policies. Director will have excellent communication skills with all levels of staff, often working with various departments and management levels to help plan, implement, document, manage and train teams on the financial aspects of new opportunities and strategies. This position reports to the VP & Controller of Finance.
• Lead the Finance team through external Financial Statement Audit and A-133 Audit;
• Evaluate changes in IRS Form 990 Reporting Requirements and lead IJM in the process of completing the 990;
• Lead Month End and Year End Close;
• Directs and collaborates with Finance team for creation and updates of Finance policies;
• Develop process, source of data and measurements for benchmarking and collaborating with similar NGO’s;
• Assist with the creation of new policy by collaborating with other functions and departments;
• Lead in providing solutions and in bridge-building between Finance and other departments. Work with Finance team to develop creative solutions while ensuring compliance;
• Collaborate with other departments to identify and prioritize improvement opportunities, develop process improvement and partner with others to find solutions and achieve efficiencies;
• Work collaboratively with the HQ accounting team and international accounting team, using strong analytical and appropriate influence skills, to gain consensus as needed;
• Provide input into strategic planning and annual budgeting for infrastructure planning for the organization; and
• Work closely with the VP & Controller to ensure organizational decisions, actions and communications are in support of agreed upon goals, balancing strategic objectives with tactical execution to achieve results.
Financial Stewardship and Strategy for Growth
• Support the VP & Controller to direct, coordinate and administer accounting and Finance operations to meet multi-functional organizational needs to enable successful collaboration and execution of the Mission;
• Evaluate current practices and policies. Drive continuous improvement, research and analyze accounting matters and positions; and
• Identify opportunities for process improvement and partner with others to achieve efficiencies.
• Responsible for hiring, training, coaching and assessing staff performance;
• Drive team activities ensuring process improvement and overall employee productivity;
• Actively engage with team on problems/conflict resolution, coaching, counseling and training and development; and
• Foster a culture of spiritual health and integrity by setting an example of mature, authentic Christian discipleship.
• Minimum of 10 years' work experience in general ledger accounting for an international, professional services firm, with multiple projects and demonstrated accounting and financial analysis experience;
• Non profit organization experience preferred;
• Master’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration or Finance required; CPA required;
• Experience in project management and bridge-building across cross-functional teams;
• Analytical, lateral and linear thinker with good professional judgment; detail-oriented, leads to effective outcomes and decisions;
• Excellent interpersonal skills;
• Exceptional oral and written presentation and communication skills;
• Adaptive, appropriately assertive, highly organized and autonomous;
• Proficient with Workday or similar ERP systems, Microsoft Office;
• ERP experience, integrating general ledger, budget, payroll, HCM, CRM, etc. a plus; and
• Superior knowledge of GAAP and IRS regulations for 501(c)(3) organizations and experience as the lead on general ledger, audit and tax.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-motivated, collaborative, team player able to multi‐task in a high expectations environment;
• Bridge-builder, Articulate, Diplomatic, and Flexible;
• Ability to leverage technology and tools to achieve team and organizational objectives; and
• Creative and energetic problem solver.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.