IJM is the global leader in protecting the poor from violence in the developing world. Our global team includes hundreds of lawyers, investigators, social workers, community activists and other professionals at work in over 25 countries. Together we are catalyzing a global revolution that will rescue millions, protect half a billion, and make justice for the poor unstoppable.
After nearly two decades of continued growth and operational success in pioneering the work of protecting the poor from violence, IJM has become an $80 million organization with 1000 global employees. As IJM continues this trajectory of growth and scaling of its impact, IJM’s President is seeking a collaborative leader to partner with him in the development and communication of IJM’s global strategy, provide strategic level project management for numerous enterprise-wide change initiatives, and lead a developing internal communications function.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area.
The Global Director for Strategy & Execution (GDSE) is responsible for facilitating the development and communication of the strategy to achieve the 2030 Vision, establishing a strategic project management office, and leading the internal communications function. The GDSE reports directly to the President.
Working closely with the President and Senior Leadership Team, the GDSE will promote an execution environment across IJM, to align the organization around its strategic goals and drive execution of this strategy at every level of the organization in order to best assure the 2030 Vision is achieved.
• Strategy Development & Communication. The GDSE will work hand in hand with the President and other senior leaders to facilitate the development of the strategy that articulates IJM’s path to achieve the 2030 Vision. The GDSE will work with the President to communicate this strategy throughout the global organization and ensure that annual and three-year plans reflect strategic decisions and priorities. The GDSE will also ensure appropriate measurement and reporting of progress toward achieving the key elements of the 2030 Vision.
• Strategic PMO. The GDSE will drive execution of strategy and the 2030 Vision through the establishment of a strategic PMO serving as the critical link between executive vision and the work of the enterprise.
• Internal Communications. The GDSE will lead a team in the development of strategy and management of day to day operations of an internal communications function that will support a global organization working in multiple cultural contexts.
• Graduate degree in business management, organizational development or equivalent combination of bachelor’s degree and relevant work experience;
• Minimum of 10 years of professional experience;
• Supervisory/management experience required;
• Strong project management background;
• Proven strategic thinker with a track record of making courageous strategic decisions, ensuring their disciplined execution, and successfully achieving ambitious objectives;
• Significant experience in facilitating the development of strategy and strategic plans;
• Experience implementing and knowledge of best practices in Internal Communications;
• Experience and expertise in change management, proven ability to successfully implement change through an organization with minimal disruption and chaos;
• Effective as a team player and leader; and
• Superb written and verbal communication skills.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Winsome, joyful and inspiring workplace leadership;
• Extraordinary ability to initiate and build relationships with people;
• Strong collaborator;
• Personable and comfortable speaking before groups of primarily internal, but also external, groups;
• Creative and energetic problem solver;
• Professionalism, discretion and mature judgment;
• Ability to relate cross culturally with a wide range of international constituencies; and
• Works well under stress and deadline pressures.
• This position may occasionally require travel to IJM’s advancement offices and field offices.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.