We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
The written story brings light to things that were once hidden in the dark. When we tell the story of Elsa or Gowri, who both experienced slavery in their countries, or Griselda who experienced abuse in Guatemala, they become more real, violence becomes more real. This is the power of story. Stories connect us. Stories have the power to make things real.
One of the most powerful means for ending slavery is found in the act of simply telling the authentic stories of those who suffer under injustice and the stories of rescue and justice through the work of common human beings.
International Justice Mission has a powerful story to tell—slavery is real and we believe that we can end slavery in our lifetime. We are seeking a talented Writer to develop compelling stories for a growing and diverse audience through impactful marketing content. In this role, you will join the creative team to deliver engaging written content for campaigns and publications across all media for IJM. Your stories will inspire and move others to donate, pray, and advocate on behalf of the most vulnerable and oppressed people in the world.
This position is based in Washington, D.C., and reports to the Director of Creative Services.
Write stories that move people
• Write, edit, and proof short and long form stories for campaigns by transforming story resources from raw content into compelling finished pieces across multi-channel collateral (direct mail campaigns, web content, annual reports, email marketing, social media);
• Ensure IJM stories are told in a clear and compelling way through our marketing and fundraising communications;
• Create high-quality branded content in collaboration with writers, designers, project managers, developers and other team members;
• Ensure story tone and style are consistent with brand and style guidelines; and
• Work as a writer and editor for stories on IJM.org—keeping a pulse on what stories will work for the platform.
Develop creative ideas
• Partner with Art Director and Director of Creative Services in determining concept direction and story angles for a campaign;
• Partner with Designers to match copy and visual brand elements and bring concepts to life;
• Collaborate with field communication managers to develop story angles to research and pursue with field communications team;
• Collaborate with creative and brand experience team to build brand loyalty, generate action and continuously develop our relationship with our audiences;
• Collaborate with our web team and marketing to develop digital experiences that carry out the creative vision, fulfill marketing goals and, ultimately, the brand mission; and
• Attend and participate in multiple client meetings and project pitches on a regular basis.
Edit and Proofread
• Edit and proofread content;
• Ensure IJM’s distinctive voice, copy tone and style is consistent and on-brand across a wide variety of media (digital, print, etc.) and collateral applications; and
• Work closely with other writers to ensure quality control across all content produced.
Required Skills and Experience
• Exceptional ability in marketing writing, storytelling and copyediting;
• Portfolio of excellent published work that demonstrates expertise, creativity and ability to write for/communicate with varying audiences;
• Ability to take raw pieces of content, along with elements of observation and analysis, and weave together an artist portrayal of the human story;
• Demonstrated experience managing a large number of projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment with minimal oversight;
• Bachelors degree in Communications, English or a related field preferred; and
• Minimum 3 years experience as a professional writer, with significant experience creating marketing content, including direct response communications, strongly preferred.Experience in an editorial, publications, humanitarian context is preferred but not required.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Outstanding vocabulary, punctuation, and grammar;
• Ability to take constructive feedback, quickly translate it into modified and/or new content, and apply metrics and lessons learned to future projects;
• Attention to detail;
• Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness; and
• Must be a team player and enjoy collaboration.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.