We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
IJM’s Global Advancement division is responsible for helping fuel the global justice movement and advance its mission by changing the conversation around violence against the poor, expanding the number of people and institutions engaged in the fight for justice, influencing leaders in all sectors to become champions for protecting the poor, and equipping followers of Christ in the work of justice. The Senior Strategy & Portfolio Manager is responsible for managing the division’s portfolio of projects to drive strategic outcomes.
The position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area and reports to the Global Director of Strategy & Operations.
• Ensure the division’s project portfolio aligns with the division strategy, liaising with executive stakeholders as needed.
• Oversee the work planning process as part of the annual strategic planning process;
• Work with country teams as needed to aid with strategic planning and alignment, including occasional travel to IJM’s Advancement Offices;
• Identify synergies across global teams within the division that help drive both results and efficiency;
• Facilitate strategic planning sessions, particularly geared at cross-team collaboration; and
• Manage the Global Advancement Lab and build a culture of innovation and learning within the division.
• Set the vision and strategy for a global portfolio management capability within the Global Advancement division, including building a recommendation for how international teams should integrate into the process;
• Oversee the day-to-day execution of the Global Advancement division’s strategic plan, include project sequencing and raising resource prioritization needs as necessary;
• Oversee project and portfolio management software, including training;
• Liaise with integration leads—staff responsible for functional areas that touch multiple teams—to ensure risks and resource issues are elevated and addressed and to ensure processes for collaboration run smoothly;
• Engage with stakeholders from division executives to project leads to ensure stakeholders are equipped with the information they need to deliver results and work effectively together;
• Monitor portfolio performance on budgets, timelines, and results, equipping project managers and team leaders with insights on ROI to improve performance over time; and
• Identify and elevate risks within the portfolio that should be captured and addressed on the division risk register.
• Manage portfolio management staff.
Process Development and Maintenance
• Own the project process—as part of the overall strategic planning process—to ensure effective delivery of the work plan; and
• As needed, identify roadblocks, bottlenecks, and risks in division processes and systems and implement solutions that enable teams to run in a predictable and efficient manner.
Required Skills and Experience
• 7-9 years of work experience with at least 5 years of portfolio, program and project management or strategic planning experience;
• MBA strongly preferred;
• Extensive experience developing systems that have fostered cross-team collaboration;
• Proven ability to lead through influence;
• Experience building trust across teams;
• Exceptional communication and facilitation skills and ability to communicate complex information in a simple, concise manner;
• Experience working with cross-functional teams and liaising with executive stakeholders;
• Strong ability to manage change; and
• Ability to manage multiple projects with strong prioritization skills.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-starter with strong initiative;
• Orientation towards creating simple, streamlined solutions;
• Strategic thinker;
• Proactive, creative problem solver;
• High attention to detail; and
• Flexible, calm and productive under pressure.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Please upload a cover letter, resume, and statement of faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.