Global Aftercare plays a vital role in IJM’s mission to protect the poor from violence by ensuring survivors receive restorative aftercare services in their local communities around the world, developing best practice models, providing thought leadership for global aftercare stakeholders, and ensuring sustainable social service provision exists within government and community-based systems in our Field Office locations.
IJM is seeking an Aftercare Specialist to support IJM Field Office Aftercare Departments in Latin America. The Specialist will support the development and implementation of strategies to advance IJM’s mission in Latin America, provide professional development training to increase IJM staff capacity and leadership; facilitate and support aftercare partnership development to ensure a strong network of sufficient and quality local aftercare services within nations and the region; advise on aftercare-related public justice system reform and sustainability program development and implementation; provide case management consultation to ensure quality aftercare is provided to IJM and partners’ clients; work with the regional team on subject matter and regional strategy, and program development, monitoring, evaluation and implementation; and collaborate with the headquarters Aftercare team on global strategy and program development, monitoring, evaluation and implementation. The Specialist will also work on special projects such as conducting country assessments for IJM expansion, regional program design, public speaking and professional conference presentations, and more.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, D.C. area, reports to the Vice President of Programs, Latin America, and works in close collaboration with the Aftercare Global department and Field Office Directors.
Field Office and Partner Case Management Support
• Collaborate with Field Office and Partners Leadership and facilitate the development of comprehensive aftercare strategy, policies and procedures to ensure aftercare interventions are aligned with global standards and conducted in an effective, professional and ethical manner;
• Provide technical consultation to IJM Field Office teams and partners on best practice and strategy to empower survivor restoration through IJM’s case management process;
• Ensure Field Office aftercare staff have specialized resources necessary to conduct aftercare interventions in an effective and ethical manner and are trained in their use;
• Coordinate closely with Field Office leadership and Director of Contingency Operations to ensure risks arising from aftercare interventions are closely monitored and minimized; and
• Track aftercare intervention and client outcome data to help the Field Office meet their targets, assess the impact of their program, improve activities and strategy, and more.
Staff Professional Development
• Develop training modules, and provide in-person and online capacity building, to equip IJM’s Field Office aftercare staff with the skills and knowledge necessary to execute aftercare interventions in accordance with IJM policies, procedures and best practices; and
• Provide ongoing coaching and mentorship to Field Office Directors of Aftercare to effectively lead their teams, implement Aftercare programming, conduct effective reporting, and build bridges and capacity with government and civil society aftercare partners.
Partnership Development/Thought Leadership
• Maintain a network of stakeholder relationships and build strategic partnerships with international, national, and local aftercare organizations, experts, donors and other entities that support your region and field offices’ program priorities;
• Support Field Office Aftercare teams to develop healthy and productive partnerships with government and civil society partners to ensure a sustainable network of sufficient and quality local aftercare services; and
• Represent and communicate IJM’s mission, programs, research and/or activities through public speaking, educational presentations and/or written pieces to aftercare organizations, professional societies, key stakeholders or thought leaders.
Program Assessments, Development, Evaluation & Implementation
• Collaborate with Regional and Field Office leadership on the development of Field Office aftercare program strategy, especially related to public justice system transformation and ensuring sustainable systems of care for victims of violence in our project areas;
• Support Global Aftercare’s research, development and implementation of international Aftercare research, monitoring and evaluation, strategy setting, tool or curriculum development, and program design and implementation. This may include ongoing activities such as data gathering and analysis or specific projects; and
• Conduct aftercare assessments as part of multi-disciplinary advance teams evaluating potential sites for IJM expansion and work alongside regional team to launch new initiatives.
• The position is based at IJM headquarters in Washington, D.C., and requires 12 to 16 weeks of international travel per year.
Required Skills and Experience
• Fluency in spoken and written Spanish Language;
• Master of social work, counseling or equivalent degree;
• Minimum of five years’ experience in the field of social work, counseling, international development, child protection or non-profit management;
• Minimum of two years’ leadership experience providing management or consultation to teams of social service professionals working with clients in complex environments;
• Experience working directly with victims of violent abuse and their families;
• Experience effectively coaching, training, capacity building, and communicating with social service professionals in cross-cultural environments;
• Experience developing and implementing successful social service program and staff capacity building projects;
• Experience conducting research, writing project proposals, developing professional curriculum, and conducting program evaluations preferred;
• Experience working in developing nations or on internationally-focused program teams preferred;
• Exceptional written and oral communication skills; and
• High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and data management systems.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Attention to detail and disciplined with priorities;
• Effective team player and leader, able to bring progress through influence;
• Exhibits sustained positive attitude and productive under pressure;
• Collaborative bridge builder, personable and manages conflict well;
• Patient, diplomatic and flexible;
• Professional demeanor in written and oral communication;
• Able to achieve goals in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, multi-sectoral and multi-religious setting; and
• Strong service ethic and a passion for IJM’s goals.
The mission of International Justice Mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing the criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.