We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
International Justice Mission is seeking a Senior Criminal Analyst to support IJM’s Criminal Analysis Center (CAC). The Analyst will serve as a subject matter expert on all CAC processes, requirements, data fusion initiatives, analytic efforts and technical procurements. This role is responsible for daily, integrated, analytical support to IJM Field Offices and partners that directly enhance investigations and law enforcement development. In this role, the Senior Criminal Analyst will be part of a team of subject matter experts that collect, process, analyze and disseminate actionable information pertaining to IJM investigations. Using information from multiple sources, the Senior Criminal Analyst will examine criminal patterns and build profiles of criminal targets and their activities to help detect, respond to and prevent violence against the poor. The successful candidate must have an established background in research and analysis in the government, military, law enforcement, or private sector; be a skilled critical thinker; possess strong leadership skills; be able to thrive in a detailed, dynamic environment; and be passionate about IJM’s mission to seek justice for the poor.
This is a one-year contract position based at IJM headquarters in the Washington, D.C. area.
The primary responsibilities of the Senior Criminal Analyst include: provide expertise to the development of a fully operational Criminal Analysis Center; collaborate with Field Office and HQ leadership to identify key information requirements; identify pertinent sources of information; collect and collate information and data from a variety of different sources; analyze information to understand patterns of criminal activity; profile and target criminals and their networks in support of law enforcement actions; identify victims for rescue; and effectively communicate relevant and actionable information to IJM Field Offices and partners to enhance IJM’s work with local law enforcement partners.
• Provide direction and expertise to the development of a fully operational Criminal Analysis Center (CAC) at IJM Headquarters;
• Work with the CAC Director to implement appropriate processes, policies and protocols for collection, analysis and dissemination of information;
• Assist in developing and maintaining criminal intelligence, crime analysis and operational best practices for the CAC, IJM Headquarters, IJM Field Offices and IJM partners;
• Provide technical expertise and training on analytical software and tools used to enhance data collection and reporting;
• Provide tools, training, and mentoring to regional and field office staff assigned to open-source research work in support of IJM fieldwork and operations; and as required to host-nation law enforcement teams which are the focus of field office system reform projects;
• Provide consultative support and guidance as required to the local Data Systems Specialist on data collection requirements and quality data assurance;
• Alongside the IJM Operations Center, maintain global situational awareness that directly impacts casework, as well as the safety and security of IJM personnel, facilities and partners in the field; and
• Advise decision-makers on various criminal targets, patterns, locations, modus operandi and activities that affect IJM tactical, operational and strategic planning.
• Collaborate with Field Office and national leadership to develop focused collection requirements that enhance investigative work with local law enforcement partners;
• Along with the CAC Director, work with IJM leadership to identify strategic level collection requirements;
• Assist in identifying and building collaborative partnerships with external agencies on data sharing initiatives, research, and other activities;
• Represent IJM and CAC initiatives through public speaking and other external engagement activities with donors, partners, professional associations, etc.; and
• Facilitate strong working relationships with a wide variety of external partners to ensure successful and appropriate information sharing, research, and support to IJM Field Offices.
• Develop a thorough understanding of the laws and elements of evidence for the crimes IJM’s government partners investigate and prosecute to assist in narrowing the focus of data collection and analysis;
• Cultivate familiarity with the culture, history and government of project areas to ensure successful synergy of local and global intelligence collection and analysis;
• Identify and exploit a range of sources for relevant information collection;
• Process and determine significance of incoming reports to IJM’s Investigations & Law Enforcement Development data system;
• Conduct analysis of complex data to identify criminal elements, networks, relationships, patterns and behavior, including but not limited to: identifying key trafficking trends, detecting previously unknown victims and perpetrators, identifying high value criminal targets, determining locations associated with criminal activity, mapping criminal networks and ascertaining criminal tactics, techniques and procedures;
• Produce and distribute timely, responsive and quality intelligence products that directly meet Headquarters and Field Office investigative requirements;
• Increase the CAC’s effectiveness, efficiency and organizational capabilities by continuously assessing responsiveness and value of intelligence products and re-focusing collection requirements as necessary; and
• Develop and present strategic intelligence products and briefings to senior IJM leaders as required for organizational planning.
• Participate in IJM’s spiritual formation, professional development and staff care programs;
• Assist with the identification, recruitment and employment of a cadre of qualified volunteers to act as a force multiplier to the CAC’s organic capabilities; and
• Perform other related duties and tasks as assigned by the CAC Director.
• Minimum 5-10 years of experience as an intelligence analyst, crime analyst, or open-source research specialist within the government, military, law enforcement, or private sector;
• Minimum 3-5 years of specific experience in the analysis of commercial, criminal, insurgent, or terrorism networks;
• Extensive knowledge of the intelligence cycle;
• Advanced research skills;
• Demonstrated analytical capability of complex data with proven record of effective products;
• Objectivity, integrity and intellectual honesty;
• High level of proficiency in computer and technical skills;
• Exceptional written and verbal communication (can make complex, technical concepts easy to understand);
• Demonstrated interest in human rights and social justice; and
• Strong leadership skills.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-starter with strong initiative;
• Disciplined with priorities;
• Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication;
• Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
• Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
• Adept at creative problem solving.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.