We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
As IJM scales its work protecting the poor from violence, the Office of the General Counsel (OGC) helps pave the way for IJM’s growth by engaging local legal counsel and assisting IJM teams with understanding the local legal landscape in each new jurisdiction, so structures, operations and programs can be designed accordingly. The Manager, Global Governance and Compliance is responsible for driving the OGC’s support of governance and compliance responsibilities worldwide. This will involve managing boards for numerous distinct IJM entities and facilitating the delivery of advice on global legal concerns.
This position is based at IJM Headquarters in the Washington, DC area and reports to the Deputy General Counsel/Global Director of Legal Affairs
Global Board Project Management
• Provide board governance project management for all IJM entities, including developing clear processes and tracking systems to ensure IJM entities operate in compliance with governing documents and other relevant requirements;
• Coordinate board meetings and other board actions for all IJM entities in compliance with governing documents and other relevant requirements; and
• Assist the Deputy General Counsel in preparing reports and communications with IJM governing bodies.
Global Governance Transitions
• Assist the Deputy General Counsel in supporting changes to IJM entities’ governing documents when required, including coordinating with outside counsel, reviewing and summarizing legal guidance from counsel for internal clients, drafting required changes to governing documents, and facilitating execution of necessary changes.
Global Start-up Counsel Project Management
• Provide project management for the OGC’s work supporting IJM’s expansion (i.e., coordinating local counsel and providing internal clients with the counsel necessary to expand into each new geographic space);
• Serve as the OGC’s point of contact with local counsel and IJM team teams involved in starting up a new office;
• Synthesize legal guidance from local counsel and make thoughtful, creative recommendations to internal clients; and
• Work with start-up team to transition new offices from start-up phase to operations phase (specifically, taking ownership of governance responsibilities).
• Manage incoming requests for global legal support from IJM operational departments and facilitate placement of requests with the appropriate outside counsel to ensure the provision of world-class, solution-driven legal counsel; and
• Manage domestic and international registrations and filings (with aid of local counsel) and facilitate review of IJM policies and procedures with local counsel to ensure that IJM is compliant with all applicable laws and regulations in all jurisdictions where it operates.
Office of General Counsel Team, Systems and Relationships
• Foster a culture of spiritual health and integrity by setting an example of mature, authentic Christian discipleship;
• Contribute to the OGC’s reputation as a trusted advisor to the full global team and maintain positive working relationships with internal IJM clients;
• Assist the Deputy General Counsel in building and managing a global network of external law firms providing services to IJM;
• Assist in training IJM staff about relevant issues of concern to the global team; and
• Design tools, templates, processes and systems related to global governance and compliance to allow the OGC provide more efficient and effective legal services globally.
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent;
• 5-7 years professional experience work in corporate governance/board management and/or project management;
• Ability to simultaneously manage multiple projects with tight deadlines in a fast-paced professional environment with minimal oversight;
• Strong organization and prioritization skills;
• Ability to synthesize complex information and communicate in a simple, concise manner;
• Corporate governance and project management experience strongly preferred;
• A juris doctorate is not required, but legal experience, especially in non-US legal systems, is preferred; and
• Demonstrated success in cross-cultural work environments.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-starter with strong initiative;
• Disciplined with priorities;
• Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication;
• Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
• Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
• Adept at creative problem solving.