We’re International Justice Mission, and we believe that justice for the poor is possible. As the world’s largest anti-slavery organization, our mission is to protect the poor from violence by rescuing victims, bringing criminals to justice, restoring survivors to safety and strength, and helping local law enforcement build a safe future that lasts.
Motivated by God’s call to seek justice for the oppressed, we believe that the way we work is as important as the results we achieve. We are a global community that cares for one another. We value joy and celebration, and we strive to provide professional excellence to all those we serve.
The Global Director of People and Organizational Development will be responsible for developing the strategies and implementing the programs that will strengthen and scale IJM’s people, culture, and core values; cultivate thriving and resilient staff; develop world-class leaders; establish a pipeline of international talent; and build the organizational capacities to keep the global enterprise aligned, learning, and improving as we drive towards the 2030 Vision. The position is based in Washington, DC and reports to the Chief People Officer.
Develop and Execute Strategy
• Develop and execute on a global strategy for the holistic development and care of IJM staff, rooted in IJM’s commitment to individual spiritual formation. Integrate spiritual formation with professional development, leadership development, staff care and resiliency in a way that cultivates thriving, world-class leaders for the mission.
• Integrate organizational design and effectiveness strategies with the organization’s strategic plan and organizational construct and core values.
• Use data and talent analytics to understand trends and show progress on talent development and learning outcomes.
• Design and lead global onboarding and integration initiatives to ensure IJM staff around the world receive excellent and consistent onboarding and integration experiences that enable them to quickly acclimate to IJM and their roles.
• In consultation and partnership with the VP of Spiritual Formation, implement and execute spiritual formation programming and delivery.
• Lead the design and delivery of foundational Talent Management, and Leadership/Executive Development initiatives to ensure achievement of organizational objectives.
• Drive enterprise-wide initiatives to build bench strength, focusing on the development of a diverse talent pool of ‘ready now’ successors for all key roles in the organization.
• In partnership with the HRBP function, deliver and reinforce change management strategies, tools and action plans in support of organizational and department change.
• Responsible for oversight, implementation and analysis of core talent-related activities such as workforce planning, succession planning, and employee engagement activities/surveys.
• Supervise, coach and develop the Global People and Organizational Development team, including hiring, training, developing and managing performance.
• Manage and ensure spending of departments’ allocated funds in accordance with IJM’s budgetary and stewardship principles and policies.
• Ensure compliance with all relevant laws, IJM policies and best practices.
• Foster a culture of spiritual health and integrity by setting an example of mature, authentic Christian discipleship.
• Design and deliver an integrated talent management vision and framework to build organizational capacity in support of IJM’s mission and strategic objectives.
• Develop world-class leaders across a global footprint by catalyzing and stewarding organization values and spiritual formation pillars.
• Lead team to deliver effective instruction and development opportunities for IJM staff.
• Develop trainings, programs, and curricula that ensure every IJM staff has a great manager who allows them to develop, thrive, and grow.
• Ensure managers can provide performance and development coaching to direct reports and teams to further engage and retain the best talent.
• Develop strategy and implementation plans to ensure current and future gaps in management and leadership capabilities based on short and long term strategic objectives.
• Ensure the successful onboarding and assimilation of new leaders in partnership with HR organization (e.g., HR Business Partners).
Organizational Learning & Development
• Oversee the selection and utilization of innovative ways to reinforce learning and development opportunities through technology that meets employees where they are.
• Introduce methods of scale and effectiveness through using smart tools that allow global staff to not only engage in formal learning opportunities, but also have the opportunity for peer learning and real-time learning.
• Drive selection of learning and development delivery approaches that ensures content is delivered in the most cost-effective, efficient and highest impact manner to diverse global audiences.
• Continuously improve and build upon new ways to deliver value-added learning solutions for all staff, through appropriate use of different channels.
• Lead the definition and implementation of a global knowledge management repository designed to engage employees and be a valuable resource to all as IJM grows and scales.
• BA required. MBA, Masters in Organizational Development, Leadership, Adult Learning or equivalent strongly preferred.
• 10+ years of experience in roles responsible for leadership and people development. Experience with and understanding of spiritual formation programs strongly preferred.
• 5+ years of experience managing teams.
• Experience designing a global organizational learning program within a professional environment.
• Mission-driven; passionate about IJM and related constituencies.
• Mature orthodox Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
• Self-starter with strong initiative;
• Disciplined with priorities;
• Strong interpersonal skills and self-awareness;
• Exceptional verbal and written communication;
• Flexible, collaborative and eager to support others;
• Effective team player who fosters collaborative environment; and
• Adept at creative problem solving.
Upload Resume, Cover Letter & Statement of Faith* in one document.
*What is a statement of faith?
A statement of faith should describe your Christian faith and how you see it as relevant to your involvement with IJM. The statement can either be incorporated into the cover letter or submitted as a separate document and should include, at a minimum, a description of your spiritual disciplines (prayer, study, etc.) and your current fellowship or place of worship.